Have you ever been incarcerated or identiFy as "system-involved"?
Core Membership is open to women, girls, and gender non-conforming folks who have experienced:
- Growing up in poverty
- Incarceration or other involvement in the criminal justice or juvenile justice system
- Involvement in other systems including foster care, mental health, welfare, etc.
- Living on the streets or working in the underground street economy
You are powerful and resilient and wise.
Our voices and experiences are important. We understand what injustice is and together we can transform. We want to build with you.
AS A CORE MEMBER, YOU GET:
- Networking and support: As formerly incarcerated and system involved people, we are best positioned to support each other because collectively we have so much experience. Join us for monthly membership meetings, Annual convenings, and many other special events.
- Training Opportunities: Personal and professional development workshops to strengthen our skills as leaders, organizers, and change-makers
- Economic Opportunities: Get paid for your leadership and expertise! Public speaking gigs, community organizing, political organizing, media appearances, etc.
- Child Care Opportunities: Receive child care and respite care through our Child Care Collective
AS A CORE MEMBER, YOU AGREE TO:
- Regularly attend membership meetings
- Represent the Coalition at a minimum of 1 public event per year
- Commit to providing at least 5 service hours per year to help maintain the work of the Coalition.
- Lead and/or collaborate to lead a training based on an area of your expertise.
- Share resources and connections with other Sisters including job announcements, referrals, introductions, fellowship opportunities, etc.
Each Core Member is asked to contribute $5 a year to help cover our collective costs and to develop a Sister Warriors Freedom Coalition Fund to support projects or needs throughout the state.
Want to support the Center in an ongoing, meaningful, way?
Ally Membership is open to anyone who believes deeply in the work of the Young Women’s Freedom Center, supports the Bill of Rights, and is committed to our mission to de-criminalize and de-carcerate women and girls of color.
For the past 25 years, we have built and sustained one of the only institutions in the country that invests in the leadership of young women and girls who have lived and worked on the streets, been incarcerated, and grown up in poverty. We do this because we believe that, in order for all of us to be free of these oppressive systems, we must follow the lead of those folks who have been most impacted by them.
You believe in the Audre Lorde quote “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” You recognize that your freedom is intimately connected with ours. You are an important part of this Coalition and we want to continue to build with you.
AS AN ALLY MEMBER, YOU GET:
- Networking Opportunities: Access to the Annual Convening and other special events
- Training Opportunities: Learn from our Core Members and other partners about organizing and taking leadership in this movement
- Action Opportunities: Receive our monthly Ally Action Newsletter with ways for you to take an active role in the de-criminalization and de-carceration of women and girls of color.
AS AN ALLY MEMBER, YOU AGREE TO:
- Support the leadership of Core Members
- Become a champion for change by sharing our work with your networks
- Share resources and connections with other members including job announcements, referrals, introductions, fellowship opportunities, etc.
We value your expertise and commitment to the work. If you are interested in becoming more actively involved with the work of the Center, please indicate on your membership form that you would like to receive information about becoming a volunteer.
Each Ally Member is asked to contribute at least $25 a month.