The Program Coordinator is part of a growing and dynamic team of leaders in SCC and primarily responsible for guiding the Siblings on the Rise Internship in reaching its programmatic goals. The Program Coordinator will work directly with justice-involved cis and trans women and girls, trans men and boys, and gender-expansive youth in SCC to develop their leadership skills, critical thinking, and engage interns in YWFC’s advocacy, organizing, and policy work. The Program Coordinator plays a key role in developing relationships with potential partners, engaging youth program participants, and ensuring the successful delivery of all community-based programs and fulfillment of annual, collaborative, and programmatic goals. The Program Coordinator is part of the organization’s operational and administrative team and they will work closely with the Deputy Director and Operations Manager to oversee the operational management of YWFC SCC facilities, programming and services, and operational needs of the SCC office.
The Young Women’s Freedom Center is a Leadership and Advocacy organization focused on building the personal and collective power of cis and trans young women trans young men, and gender-expansive youth who have been incarcerated and experienced life on the streets. YWFC creates opportunities for young folks to find their voice, build their power, gain skills and opportunities, and to transform the conditions that keep them trapped in cycles of violence, poverty, and incarceration.
Skills, Knowledge, and Qualities:
- At least one year of youth program coordination experience
- Exceptional organizational, attention to detail, and administrative skills (Proficiency with Google Suites, calendaring, confirming facilitators, youth have adequate transportation, etc.)
- Clear, direct, and diplomatic communication skills, and the ability to empower and communicate with youth and adults from a variety of backgrounds, in person, over the phone, and via email
- Familiarity with the Juvenile justice system, criminal justice system, and the foster care system
- Familiarity with the Los Angeles and the Bay Area socio-political landscapes and youth service providers
- Experience or interest in working with directly impacted youth, and commitment and passion for supporting their power and leadership
- Capacity to build safe working relationships with youth, that are supportive and build trust and self-determination, and don’t replicate harmful system power dynamics
Please send your resume and a thoughtful, one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Program coordinator SCC_(LastName)”
Deadline: October 1, 2021
We strongly encourage candidates who hold marginalized identities and nontraditional professional backgrounds to apply. Young Women’s Freedom Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we’re not able to respond personally to every candidate. We do review every submission carefully and we will contact those who we’d like to interview.
Position Title: Program Coordinator
Program: Site-Based Operational and Program Support
Work location: SCC Office
Reports to: SCC Site Director
Classification: Full-time (1 FTE), 40 hours/week, permanent, Non-Exempt
Compensation: $24.00-$25.00/hour (commensurate with experience)