Saturday, January 19, 2019, 11:30 am at Civic Center Plaza, San Francisco
With YWFC Executive Director Jessica Nowlan as a featured speaker
What is the Women’s March?
The Women’s March is a national movement to unify and empower everyone who stands for human rights, civil liberties, and social justice for all.
Why should I show up?
The theme of this year’s Women’s March and Rally is #TruthToPower. Who better to speak truth to power than the members and allies of the Young Women’s Freedom Coalition?
Our sister, YWFC Executive Director, Jessica Nowlan, has been asked by the Women’s March to take the stage on our behalf. In front of a crowd of thousands, Jessica will:
- Talk about the Center’s 25+ year history of work in transforming the systems that keep women, girls, and TNGC folks of color stuck in cycles of poverty, violence, and incarceration
- Take a stand on the importance of recognizing, engaging, and supporting the leadership of women and girls most impacted by these systems
- Remind folks that, in order for women to collectively achieve freedom in this county, all of us need #2BFree
Jessica wants as many of us on stage with her as possible. She wants the crowd to see us standing together, as a sisterhood. She wants the crowd to see our full power and resilience. When you show up as a Center Sister, you will be participating in the radical act of moving our stories from the margins to the center of this conversation.
When you show up, you will be speaking #TruthToPower.
When you show up as an Ally, you are honoring the importance of centering us in this movement. You are engaging your powers of love, empathy, witness, and courage in the fight for freedom. When you show up, you are insisting that your own freedom is inextricably linked to the freedom of all other women.
When you show up, you are activating a #WomensWave where no one is left behind.
How do I show up?
Here are the details for when and where we will all meet up:
- Take a look at the map below. Find the #9 in the yellow heart. This is the Volunteer Check-in station – it’s basically right in front of City Hall on the Polk St. side. This is where we will all gather between 10:30 and 11:00am.
- This is Julia Arroyo. She is our Program Director of Youth Re-entry. Look for her. She is the point person. If you can’t find her or any of the rest of us, text Julia at 415-618-9124.
- If you are already a member of our Sister Warriors Freedom Coalition and have a t-shirt, please wear it. If you are not yet a member and/or don’t have a t-shirt, we will hook you up with one.
- Jessica will be speaking some time between 11:30am and 1:30pm. We will make sure to have plenty of snacks to take care of you.
What about the march itself?
After the rally, folks will be marching from Civic Center, down Market Street, to Montgomery. At this time, we have no plans to join the actual march itself but that may change.
I’m not sure I can make it but I want to show my support. What do I do?
Click here, give us your info, and we will let you know what you missed and what will happen next.